Ceelo Green

Cee-Lo Does Drag + Apologizes for “Homophobic Twitter Rant”… [PHOTOS]

Jun 27th 2011 | Written by ATLien

Legendary songstress Patti Labelle was honored with a “Lifetime Achievement Award” during the 2011 BET Awards show and was treated to a tribute performance by none other than the “A”‘s own Cee-Lo Green.

The Lady Killer was a certified HIT!  Gracing the stage rocking a sparkling ‘Labelle-like’ ensemble while spraying oil sheen on his Patti Labelle WIG!

CeeLo in that Patti wig is classic but he does NOT make a pretty woman (thats’ for dayum sure!)

In related news, you may have heard by now about CeeLo’s “homophobic twitter rant” but in case you missed it…

Lo was in a bit of hot water last week after he launched what some felt was a “homophobic” rant to someone criticism him via Twitter. He has since offered an explanation, stating:

She was very critical of me. At the time I didn’t even know what gender the person was. I was being a little outspoken that night, a little outrageous.

I always expect people to assume that everything I do is part of my character and sense of humor. I assumed that whoever it was would assume it was all in good fun. It wasn’t taken so well, apparently.

The woman for which the tweet was intended says she was not offended, however the media had a field day.  So Lo took it upon himself to issue a detailed apology…

I most certainly am not harboring any sort of negative feeling toward the gay community. I don’t have an opinion on people with different religious, sexual or political preferences. I’m one of the most liberal artists that I think you will ever meet, and I pride myself on that.

Two of the remaining members that I have on my team on The Voice are proud and outspokenly gay. We just did a team performance of ‘Everyday People’ and I picked that song for us to do specifically to highlight how we can get along even though we’re so different. (source)

So there you have it.  CeeLo can’t possibly be “homophobic” cause he works with Gay people… :-/

I don’t know about you… but Lo giving us that Pattti Labelle drag during the 2011 BET Awards should totally but all this “homophobic” uproar to bed.

What do you think?

Photos: WireImage

1. Nettaboo Anderson via Facebook says:

It was part of his ACT…STOP taking everything so serious….He added a little comedy to his Patti skit. GOODNESS GRACEOUS

2. Right. Ceelo faaaar from gay. I kno gay when I c it. He not it.

3. Trina Henderson via Facebook says:

No. It just proves he’s an idiot. He looked like a fool. That was not a performance (if that’s what you want to call it) should’ve been saved for another time. When one acts like a fool, you get treated like one.

4. All n fun something 2 laugh about LOL.

5. Ebony Hooker via Facebook says:

He is COMFORTABLE with the skin he’s in. I applaud him for doing the tribute song to Patti. ALL of US are different. I absolutely love people who don’t hide who they are. He’s an artist. If EVERYONE would embrace who the really are, stop trying to keep up the the Jones’, and inpress other’s, OUR world would be a MUCH better place.

6. Reginia Parks via Facebook says:

Cee-lo is a character. He entertains and does things to engage his fans in his voices and lack of mainstream attractiveness. It works and he’s still getting checks. Get it lil man.

7. Trina Henderson via Facebook says:

Everyone is absolutely right. And he should be comfortable when people are talking about the crap he does. Don’t be offended when people start criticizing your antics…be comfortable. But he does get offended. But to each his/her own. As an artist and especially as a celebrity or someone in the spotlight, the things you do and/or don’t do can make or break you. Ask Kanye!

8. The price u have 2 pay 4 fame LOL.

9. Miranda Burton via Facebook says:

Patti wasnt ‘impressed’ yet she was offended-‘she said he scared her’-Lol! He cursed at the audience :”Dont act like yall dont know the mutherF*n song!!” Wow, it was more like a ‘Mockery/BadParody’ instead of a ‘comical tribute..the humor went out the window. #MyOpinion

10. People like Rush Limbaugh can say what they want to say about everybody and everything, people can disrespect the first black President of these United States….Cee-Lo is an ENTERTAINER, that is his job, to succeed you need to be in the spotlight…..get over it…..SHINE CEE-LO…SHINE.

11. l says:

Hmmmm….I didn't watch the show, but what is that on the top of his head?Oh, wait, he cursed and honored Ms.Patti Labelle in a reibute.BET, smh, always come in 99th place on awards shows.Somebody really don't like black people, but we probaly was packed in that place like sardines.Can't tell when people trying to make you look like a fool…so very sad.(i miss the goodie mob ceelo,though…sigh)

12. l says:

LOL…I don't know what word I was trying to type up ^top,so I'll just say tribute..I guess.

13. JazzyJ says:

he had my rolling until he curse!! then it was like a jaw dropper from there on!..#lovedthelavendershoes

14. sweetgabrown says:

its called entertainment for a reason people…. smh

15. Peachy says:

Funny…all these artists are giving these homophobic apologies at lighting speed, nothing like disrespecting black women, sending violent messages to children, and promoting negativity to each other

16. manchild says:

it was a tribute,not a roast so many felt he was disrepectful….she smiled,but her smile was like"wtf"….

17. Kamalla says:

I'm sorry but what Cee Lo said hardly qualifies as homophobic or even a rant.

And Peachy ur right. There are other more serious things these black male artists/entertainers need to apologize for.

18. Kamalla says:

CEE LO looked all kinds of wrong in that wig tho but he sung that song RIGHT!

19. shad says:

i agree w/ peachy everytime someone even breaths a word that gays find offensive people have to run and break their necks to apologize…but no one apologizes to black women..abused children…etc…gimme a break…what happened to freedom of speech?…tracy morgan has said sorry 1000 times…and for what ? comedians make fun of blackas all day long and no apologies…its comedy

20. shad says:

*blacks..(typo)

21. Sherry says:

It is really a double standard for celebrities when it come to words that are said especially via twitter & other social network sites. If regular people said those things after someone criticized us with harsh words and we said something back that may even be worse, nothing would be said, but because they are celebrities are scrutinized & treated differently, which is wrong.

But Cee Lo is an artist & he killed that Patti Labelle song, and only he think out of the box like that these days in his genre of music which is great.. I love his music & I think he is very talented, and that is why he is so successful..

Peace!!

22. Gwendolyn Gwendella Johnson via Facebook says:

I lurve Ceelo my daughter was on the ground he’s been doing his thang and I love it. Lol love his voice soul full of it.

23. Dana T says:

Whateva Cee Lo you don't owe anybody any apologies. You are a great artist. The one major thing I want to point out is that just because a dude may put on a dress that doesn't make him gay. You guys need to be a little bit more open minded. There are a lot of straight men that like to put on women clothing and they would never touch another man. This is another example of people expressing themselves being different and getting thrown into the same box with us.

Dresses as we see them today is another thing designed by men for women to make you guys look the way we want you to look. If a girl puts on a pair of slacks does that make her a lesbo?

People get the hell over it and stop making these retarded as comments cause as quiet as its kept most of y'all have a brother, uncle and even a daddy that likes dudes.

Dana T.