FOR DISCUSSION: What Your Skirt Length Says About You… [PHOTOS]

Jan 23rd 2013 | Written by ATLien

diamondtoyarasheedatiny

There’s a photo going around that illustrates an example of how skirt length can attribute to preconceived notions about the woman wearing it.

Flirty… Whore… Prudish…  Slut… are just a few of the words listed that could be used to describe a woman’s sexual behavior based on her appearance alone.Diamond 4

** Disclaimer: All photos in this post are used for illustration purposes only! **

An 18-year-old college freshman by the name of Rosea Lake created a display that quickly became viral, which shows a linear graph on a young woman’s legs that many feel could be close to accurate.

The photo, entitled “Judgements” was posted on her Tumblr page January 5th but something about it struck a chord online.

Within 24 hours of posting the image, Lake noticed that it had been re-blogged over 100,000 times, with many agreeing with the image and it’s description of what skirt length can say about a woman.

The photo, which Lake took as part of her AP high school art class last year, depicts the back of her friend Ali MacKenzie’s legs.

Horizontal lines are drawn up her leg, reflecting various skirt lengths, and next to each line is a description. Lake labelled the longest skirt length “matronly” and the shortest “whore.”

Check out the “Judgements” photo below and find out what your skirt length may be saying about YOU…

judgments ROSEA LAKE

According to the HuffingtonPost, Lake got the idea for the photo from looking at graduated cylinders in her science class.

“[I wanted to] take the idea of impersonal, supposedly objective, measurement of things and put it on something that we do measure, but we don’t talk about,” she said.

monica-brown-1“We measure women the same way we measure water in cylinders, but no one says it because it’s mean.”

Lake also expressed that working on the photo project forced her to reassess her own judgments about other women.

“I used to assume that all women who wore Hijabs were being oppressed … and look down on and judge any woman who didn’t express her sexuality in a way that I found appropriate,” she wrote on her Tumblr.

“I’d like to think I’m more open now.”

When asked why she thought the photo resonated so deeply with so many women, Lake chalked its momentum up to timing.

“It’s a concise, visually-attractive articulation of what a lot of women are thinking lately,” she said.

“Our society is ready to talk about [slut-shaming]. This just sort of gave it a push.”

Is Lake’s “Judgement” photo an accurate assessment of how people view skirt length?

Do you judge or have you ever been judged by others over the length of a skirt?

1. Toni Blessedandhighlyfavored Alexander via Facebook says:

Very Interesting Observation!!

• Yung Jak says:

Hardly. This is more like what women who wear skirts are trying to convey.

A more accurate one would read like this:
      -whore
      -whore
      -whore
      -whore
      -whore
      -whore
      -whore
      -whore
      -off-duty whore

2. Jacob Isreal via Facebook says:

YEAH

3. Dana Rann via Facebook says:

NO! i cant wear long skirts cause they just dont look good on me! doesnt mean i’m loose because i wear short ones!

4. NEW2daA says:

I am all about if you have it, flaunt it, however….everyone has an ass, and there are some asses I just don't want to see. I think the older a woman gets, the longer her skirt length gets…and it is not because she is more out of shape, but because she becomes more knowledgeable about what her clothing may suggest to other people. I think it was Chris Rock who said if you don't want people to think you are a ho, stop wearing the costume of a ho. I for one cannot stand going into a club and pretty much being able to see your cervix if you bend over…that shit is not cute…..

• Yana says:

I so agree with your comment about the older a women gets….I'm 35 and you won't catch me in a dress or skirt that's above my knee. I think "flirty" is as short as I'd go at my age, and that would strictly be for a night out on the town with my husband. "Cheeky" is the furthest anybody who's not a stripper should go!I think the chart is pretty accurate though.

• BEYANDJAYALLDAY says:

"
        I so agree with your comment about the older a women gets….I’m 35 and you won’t catch me in a dress or skirt that’s above my knee. I think "flirty" is as short as I’d go at my age"

You do realize that "Flirty" is above the knee right?

So which is it?

• LXL says:

I agree, I like the pencil skirts that touches the knee or just a little above. I just think those type of skirts just make a lady look classy.

5. Pamela Carnegia via Facebook says:

Your skirt length should be appropriate for the venue you attend. Short skirts are great at a club…..but short skirts are not appropriate for church. All people have preconceived notions about everyone and systems…..

6. sheena215 says:

I like Kandi's not only is it an appropriate height its just the best dress/outfit over all

7. Katrina Gray via Facebook says:

I love your “illustrations”… Phaedra always wears outfits that are too tight and often too short… To the workplace, church, and everywhere. A woman can still be sexy without showing too much. The skirt length illustration is a direct reflection of our social norms…

• K says:

That's part of the reason I can't take her seriously. As a professional woman, you must know things like how to dress for the occasion, especially for work and church. I don't think she could get away with dressing like a smoked sausage at work anywhere outside of Atlanta.

• AlWel says:

I thought I was the only one who noticed. She always looks packed into her clothes and like she is wearing at least 2 pairs of spanx. Going up a size would probably make her look more comfy.

• will says:

yes , I agree Phaedra clothes are all ways too tight. And would some one please tell her too get her hair done , and stop trying too do it her self.

8. 2bme says:

This was interesting however one flaw..no one said anything about the extra long skirt with the super high slit..honey i have long legs and those look best on me..AND i'm stingy with my isht..lol

9. Gavin Bourne via Facebook says:

Hey ladies if you live within the Gwinnett County area and you’re looking for a massage in the convenience of your home check out this Mobile Message Service http://www.refugeofhealing.com/massage-and-wellness-services/

10. ALM says:

Sexism in society….men don't have to deal with this sort of thing.

11. Kim says:

I think your skirt length says something about you compared to the occasion at which you are wearing it. So unless you work on a corner, your skirt should not be too far above the knee if at all. However, other occasions are open to shorter lengths without judgement. It is how it is…

12. ladydiinpa says:

I am flirty…long skirts don't look good on me..my legs are best asset…long skirts with slits I will do…not a slit up to my coochie..just to thigh
    my humble opinion now,,,is the short tight dresses/skirts,,,now Toya she looks good in 1,,,but someothers need to go up a size….

13. jbm says:

She should've made a mark on the floor that represented "Off"

14. Get into it... says:

I wear minis, midis, and maxis. It all depends on the occasion and venue.

However, since becoming a mother, I now opt more for the midis…a nice tight one, lol. Those are appropriate for multiple occasion and also very sexy.

Those not familiar with the term "midi", refer to Kandi's black sequin dress.

I like the chart however; prudish and matronly are truly "harsh" judgements. There are long flowly skirts that are just that….long. A person can be "prudish" by wearing the flirty length. I think you should dress according to your body and shape. Just cuz its in your size does not mean it was made for your particular shape.
    I got a girl here in my office that has the breast back…you know those 2 lumps on her back making it look like another set of tits.She's knocked kneed and dresses in short, tight unflattering outfits. Hell she definitely gets an A for confidence however; there is fine line between confidence and dillusion! Everyone laughs at her behind her back and I feel bad because she tries but who am I to tell another adult how to dress? Oh…the shade of it all!

16. Mini skirts used to be the norm when I was in my teens and early 20’s. It’s the fashion and should be stylish.

17. Alexrodgers says:

I love the low key shade you threw at Marlo showing her wi a whore length split on

18. Love it or Hate it...who cares! says:

Well I guess I'll fall from "cheeky" to "proper"..lol! The observation was good, but in this day and time, not many ppl care about opinions or facts. Free will allows you to do as you please. With dress code, ppl may dress differently for different occasions. I also think that your weight and how your clothes fit is also something you should take into consideration….it rlly makes a huge difference.

19. Free Kroy says:

PLEASE, M, YOU KNOW KANDI DRESSES TIGHT AND NASTY..

20. Bunny says:

im from dallas, texas and this essay is not reporting any new theories. my mother and grandmother taught etiquette courses back in the day and there were manuals about dress lengths, and shirt "dives". its always best to match dress lengths and shirt dives according to the event. thats basically it really lol.

21. msking says:

So what is the message for those woman such as myself who does not wear skirts because I'm just not comfortable? I am a business woman and I love my dress pants and 5" inch heals. What message am I sending? Virgin? Aint giving it up? I dont like you? Nope just figuered it out….wait for it……wait for it….im damn sexy!!!LOL!